Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New and Improved Office

One pillow changed all of my office decorating plans. It was calling out to me in the store. After I returned home with my new curtains, pillow, and blanket, I set out to reorganize our space. If it was going to have a new look, I wanted it to be more functional for us also. I ended up consigning that green chest and I brought up a white cubby shelf that I had in the basement. I donated and consigned a lot of books to make the bookshelf look neater. I made a list of all the things I use constantly and made sure they were accessible in the office and took out everything that we didn't use very often. I even cleaned out the closet and had enough space to be able to keep the vacuum cleaner in it. That will save me lots of time lugging it up and down the basement stairs.

So here it is, the new and improved office. It feels nice and airy all day long and at night it feels cozy. There are pops of color which I love, but the pops of colors do not overpower the room. I am so glad that I went with white curtains. We had to keep the layout the same. It's pretty much the only way it works with a futon, but I liked the layout.
Above our desk, I made an inspiration board using a frame the previous owners left behind. I spray painted it engine blue (a $1.00 find at Mighty Dollar) and then I color matched the pillow and got a $3.12 paint sample at Lowe's to brush over it so it is kind of two toned.
The frame is actually teal but you can't really tell from this picture.
I used a piece of foam board and some cork panels that
I actually already had in the basement,
and the funky floral fabric to finish it off.
I hot glued some fun scrapbooking accessories (also found at Mighty Dollar) to
plain old thumbtacks to spice up the board even more.
One of my favorite new things in the room has
got to be our pencil/pen holder.
I found this cool goblet at a consignment store for $0.90!!!!
The cubby shelf holds some of my crafty stuff,
an old Nikon film camera,
and some of my favorite cookbooks.
I hope to one day find a cabinet with doors,
because it is definitely not baby proof or toddler proof,
but it will have to do for now, since it was free.
The photo collage above it is the same as before.
I love jars of crafty items.
I hope to add some vintage jars to this shelf
once No Spend Month is over. :)
This beauty is my new sewing box.
I used a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby so it only cost $6.00.
It holds my sewing machine cables and
some other various sewing stuff.
The bookshelf is now the home to our lenses,
my tutoring stuff,
and the books that we love
or are on our waiting-to-read list.
I had two giant clothespins from my classroom
that I decided would be cute bookends.
That's it. Our new and improved office. So I know what you are thinking. Weren't we supposed to be making over the bedroom, not the office? It's coming along too, the only thing we are lacking is the furniture, a key component, but thanks to some consigning and Craig's listing we should have a bed soon. :)

4 comments:

  1. It looks GREAT! I'm so jealous;) Our office transformation is moving MUCH more slowly. I need to find some good consignment shops in town. Oh, and FWIW, I liked your fabric as curtains, though the white ones look lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The office looks great! And soooo cleannn! Makes me want to go clean something now! hahah

    I feel like I'm cleaning up all day after Audrey sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Steph! And actually, you've given me a great decorating idea with your inspiration board!

    ReplyDelete