Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Bedroom Makeover in the Works

If you come to our house often, you might notice that I try to change the decor often. I love to change small things around the house for each season. I love not spending a lot of money to make a warm and inviting home. I am a sucker for rooms on the Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel websites/catalogs and I use them for inspiration often. It's a flaw, I know, but that's who I am and I am slowly growing to be more content.
I try to restrain myself from looking, but a few weeks ago I spotted some bedding that I loved and I knew I just had to save up for it. There was just one problem. It wouldn't go with the current colors of our bedroom. There was only one solution, a wall needed to be painted. Let me explain.
When we moved into our house almost 3 and half years ago, we painted our bedroom a wicker color, the same color as our living room, the top half of our dining room, the hallways, and the bathroom. I love, love, love this color. It is a neutral that works with almost everything in the warm tones which Bryan and I tend to like. This color allows me to change accessories easily to appease my need for change. To try to add a burst of color on our bedroom walls, Bryan suggested that we add an accent wall and he wanted it to be a burgundy red. I thought it was a marvelous idea. He very rarely says something that he particularly wants, so we went with it. Finding the right bedding to go with it has been difficult. We went with a beige colored bedding since the wall color was so bold. I added red curtains and we called it good. It wasn't my dream bedroom, but since we didn't have a bed, that's right a bed (we have used only a mattress and box springs for a long time now) I was fine with it.
Why do we not have a bed, you ask? Good question. My unstable bed that I had before we got married finally collapsed shortly after we tied the knot. A new one would cost money that we didn't have back in the day,then it wasn't a priority for a long time, over time Bryan said we should just be fine with what we have, we couldn't find one that would fit, and so on. We made our own makeshift headboard a long time ago, but after falling off the wall so many times, we abandoned it when we moved here. So a box springs and mattress (not even a frame) has been what we have grown used to over the past 6 and a half years.
Recently, the urge to get a bed has been back on my mind. Now that we have most of the projects in our home done, other than the counter tops and the interior doors painted, I don't feel so bad about wanting a real bed. (We will leave out the fact that we still don't have a garage, since the little one came along and blew all the savings for that one.) The bed that I would love is way too much money at Pottery Barn. The bed that I am saving up for is actually a headboard at Target. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be able to get it. As for the bedding though, thanks to a sale, I had enough money saved from tutoring and from Bryan graciously selling his Playstation 2 on Ebay to buy it. It should come in next week. The red wall is now wicker colored like the rest of the walls after Bryan begrudgingly allowed me to paint (he still loved the red wall, but he is a wonderful husband and gave in to my nagging). So a frugal bedroom makeover is in the works and I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment