Sunday, July 4, 2010

Forgotten Local Bounty Post: Kohlrabi

A while back I bought a $0.75 kohlrabi at the Farmer's Market. I had never seen kohlrabi, much less ever tried it or cooked with it, but I was willing to give it a shot. I searched the Internet for ideas of how to prepare the vegetable. I found a very easy recipe for kohlrabi and apple slaw. It sounded tasty and it was. Bryan photographed the finished dish, but I was hoping to snag another kohlrabi the next week to show a before picture because they are very interesting looking. The next week there none at the Farmer's Market and then I forgot to post about it. So here is the end result...
In a slight sort of way it tastes like broccoli stems but has the texture more like an apple. I think that is why it pairs so nicely with apple. If I can find it again this season, I can't wait to try preparing it another way.

No comments:

Post a Comment