Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ms. Martha's Chicken Pot Pie

A week ago today, a lady that I considered as special and close as a grandmother passed away. Ms. Martha always greeted you with a hug, welcomed you into her home, made you feel special, and was truly an inspiration. When I was younger, actually a whole lot younger, we would go to Ms. Martha and Mr. Charlie's house for dinner often. She would make whatever was your favorite food even if everyone else wanted one thing, she would always make something especially for you. I remember one time we had a meal that included almost any vegetable you could imagine, fried chicken, chicken pot pie, and a roast. She would make the chicken pot pie for me. I LOVED it! Finally one day I asked her to show me how she made it so I could make it at our home. Turns out it was super easy, and oh so tasty. I have made it often ever since that day. It is a staple in our home and each time I make it I think of Ms. Martha.

Ms. Martha's Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
  • Approximately 1 lb. of cooked chicken diced or shredded (more or less depending on how much you like)
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can of mixed vegetables (Ms. Martha used Veg-All but she would pick out the celery for me and that is what I also did for a long time until I realized other cans of mixed vegetables didn't contain celery so use whatever you like)
  • a dash of Cavendar's seasoning (to taste)
  • a splash of milk
  • 2 Pet-Ritz pie crusts (only use Pet-Ritz because they are the best, I have tried others)
  • 1 egg for eggwash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, Cavendar's seasoning, mixed veggies, and splash of milk together. Put mixture into one pie crust. Remove the crust from the other empty pie shell and then carefully remove the shell from the pie tin. (Tip: make sure your pie crust is very, very cold when you try to remove it from the tin, it will come out easier. Ms. Martha taught me that. :)) Turn the pie crust upside down and cover the crust containing the mixture (like a dome). Pinch the crust slightly into the bottom pie's crust to seal as best as possible. It is okay if there are some cracks. Then using the eggwash, brush the top of the pot pie. This will make it look golden and shiny when it is cooked. Bake between 30-40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Enjoy

*The longer it cools the thicker it will get and I think it is actually even more delicious as leftovers if there are any. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment