Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tingling Feet

The tingling in my feet started one week ago. I first noticed it as we were eating at our favorite Mexican restaurant in Jackson. We had worked all day finding family heirlooms and we had settled down to enjoy some family time. I quietly leaned over to Bryan and whispered that my toes were tingling. I didn't want anybody else to know. I didn't want anyone to worry.
In the back of my mind, I knew this could happen, but I was really hoping losing most of the eyesight in my right eye would be it. I think I have been in denial about the reality of this disease. On Monday, it was just the front halves of both feet, but by Wednesday both feet were tingling on the verge of numbness. I haven't lost the ability to walk, it just feels funny when I do.
After being tested for a Urinary Tract Infection (which was negative), talking back and forth with lots of the MS clinic nurses on Tuesday and then again on Thursday, I decided that I would just ride out this flair-up without taking steroids. The steroids would only make any improvement I am going to have happen faster, they don't actually treat anything. I was going to have to stop breastfeeding the entire time I was on steroids plus another seven days. Since this flair-up is only sensory related right now and it is not affecting my balance or hurting my ability to walk, my doctor thought opting out of the steroids would be fine. It's a waiting game with flair-ups and it could be hours, days, weeks, or months before we see how it all turns out. I'm just praying that this time my body will be able to heal completely and the tingling will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment