Saturday, October 29, 2011

Family Heirlooms

My family has been sorting through all of my grandparent's belongings in order to sell their estate in the next few weeks. So last weekend we had the opportunity to go to Rutherford, TN to claim what we would like to keep. My Pepaw and Memaw had so many cool things. There were several items that I would have loved to have but I just didn't have any reason to keep them other than they were cool or slightly sentimental.
For instance, I loved this bicycle speedometer. It was my dad's when he was a little boy. I thought about keeping it for Seth and Silas but it was missing a clamp on the back and we weren't sure it it worked properly. Instead of keeping it, I decided that I would just snap a photo of it.
There were a few other things that I found interesting but I didn't keep like...
this 1937 Singer Sewing Machine.
I do love a vintage sewing machine.
There was also this cool oil can...
a handmade clown made by my Memaw...
an old butter churn...
(I thought it would be neat to hold umbrellas and stuff like that,
but Bryan didn't agree so we didn't take it.)
this cute tea kettle...
these two wooden people ...
(They have been at my grandparent's house on this wooden shelf for as long as I can remember,
so I'm glad I took a picture.)
and lots of large spools of thread.
So what DID we take with us?
This beautiful sewing machine/table...
which now resides in our living room.
It is one of the first things you see when you walk through the front door.
I feel so special to be able to call it mine now.
I also grabbed some small spools of thread.
One box even has wooden spools. I just love it!
This dainty little vase looks lovely in my windowsill.
I gathered up all the old skeleton keys I could find.
(My Pepaw was a locksmith after his sewing machine factory days.)
I picked up several kitchen items including some tiny Tupperware containers.
I found a few pieces of jewelry that I can't wait to wear.
I also found some crafty items. I have big plans for the Altoids containers.
I thought a few more embroidery hoops could be added to our wall.
One of my favorite items that we found thanks to my dad was this "new-to-us" 64 year old toaster. It was given to my grandparents as a wedding present by my great uncle Claude. It sure beats our burnt up toaster and makes the perfect piece of toast, by the way.
I picked up this wooden gavel and a wooden car that Pepaw made.
I just love how crafty both my grandparents were.
Bryan took several tools and there are a few other special things that might show up on the blog sooner or later. It was a special day to be able to go through all the things my grandparents owned. I hope to be able to pass some of these things on to our kids and grand kids one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment