Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Lemon Tree Challenge: Sprouting from Seeds

In case you haven't heard, I am trying to keep a lemon tree alive for two years as part of the lemon tree challenge. In my hopes of getting my Meyer lemon tree two years from the date that the plant started growing, I was determined to get going as soon as possible. I set out to the store the day after writing my last post on the subject to buy some lemons. I cut them open, removed the seeds, placed them in wet paper towels and then into plastic bags (you know like you did in school with lima beans), and put them under our bathroom sink which is a warm dark place. I checked on them daily in hopes that I would see some sprouts. I kept the bag moist. I prayed and prayed, but nothing happened! What in the world was I going to do if I couldn't even get the seeds to sprout? I was starting to lose hope, but then called in the reinforcements (my mom). Our lemon tree challenge rules did not state that I had to be the one to get the lemon tree growing, I just had to keep it alive, so I asked my mom if she could give sprouting lemons a try. Being the wonderful mother that she is, she obliged. When I talked to her on the phone she would always give me an update on the lemon seeds. She was about to give up hope too, but one day she called and said, "the lemon seeds have sprouted." (Apparently you have to pierce them with a fork.) My mom took care of them until this past weekend when she handed them off to me. So to be fair to Bryan, keeping the lemon tree alive for two years from the end of March will be my goal. We'll see how it goes...

1 comment: