Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Lemon Tree Challenge

I have big plans for attempting a garden this spring and I have already ordered some seeds including some heirloom vegetables, which I am so excited about. But, as I was looking at seeds online, I stumbled across a citrus section. Since most citrus plants like to grow in Zones 8 or higher and Bowling Green is in Zone 6, growing citrus plants outdoors here would be kind of difficult. I found out that lemon trees though make wonderful houseplants. I was very happy at looking at the different varieties and finally decided that a two to three year old Meyer lemon tree would be the best choice for me until I saw the price. Obviously, I cannot go around buying $50 lemon trees on our budget, so Bryan suggested that I try growing a lemon tree from a lemon you buy at the store. This can be tricky and definitely not like the Meyer variety, but it can be done. I am going to have to deal with some thorns apparently (which scares me a little) but I am going to give it a shot. To make it into even more of a challenge, Bryan said that if I could keep a lemon tree growing for two years from the seed that I could actually buy a Meyer lemon tree. If I can keep it growing that long, I am not sure I will still want a Meyer tree, but I was happy for Bryan's willingness to purchase one. So let the Lemon Tree Challenge begin!

1 comment:

  1. You'll be over it in 2 years, so I'm not cutting the check just yet.

    ReplyDelete