Friday, March 23, 2012

Bringing Spring Inside

Spring is here and it has been just beautiful outside. When all the flowers begin to bloom and new life is all around us, I get the urge to bring the happiness inside. My decorating has really changed over the years, and I have really tried to find things that I can be happy with for a long time. I have had the same vase sitting on our mantle for the last five years and it's been in every other place we have lived too, since it was a wedding present. The vase stays the same but what goes inside changes with each season. So recently when I spotted these "flowers" at Hobby Lobby I knew they would be the perfect Spring and Summer addition to the vase. They are made of paper and wire and they bring a new cheeriness to the mantle.
On one of our side tables I typically have a glass cylindrical vase filled with some seasonal items. Not too long ago I was changing the contents of the vase and dropped it. Since we have significantly downsized the amount of stuff that we own, I no longer had an extra glass container and recently purchased this vase for $5.00. I filled it with a candle and some dried split peas for a pop of green.
I have a thing for salt and pepper shakers. If I wanted to have a large collection of something, I think I would collect all different kinds. But since I am trying to simplify I only have a set for each season and a set that belonged to my grandparents. I picked up these little chicks after Easter last year for $0.80 at Hallmark.
 Then for our door I made a wreath. I started wrapping this wreath form at Christmas. I didn't know what I was going to do with it at the time, but I knew the blue speckled yarn would be perfect on our front door. After being inspired from Pinterest, I spent $3.00 on a nest, some eggs, and a spray of flowers from Dollar Tree. I think it turned out pretty cute and I just love a frugal Pinterest inspired project.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment