Monday, November 7, 2011

Tillery Tot School- Letter I

Last week we learned all about the letter "I." We focused mainly on just a few "I" words like inchworm, iguana, insects, and ice cream. Here's the Tot School board:
A few people have mentioned to me that they have noticed all the Beanie Babies hanging on our boards that correspond with the letter that we are studying. Yes, I do have a lot of them. During my classroom teaching days, I bought a huge bag of used Beanie Babies from a lady to use with the Beanie Babies Reading Strategies. I almost sold them all on Ebay a couple of years ago. Now I am glad I kept them because they really come in handy each week. We have two baskets full of them under Seth's bed. We pull them out each week and find the ones that start with the letter we are studying and then display them on our board.

Note: We didn't have one specific Bible verse this week.

Here are some of the "I" activities:
We played with insect stickers. Seth loves stickers of any kind!
We made an iguana out of the letter I.
We went to Chaney's Dairy Barn one evening to have some ice cream.
Seth even told the girl working behind the counter what letter we were studying!
One day for lunch I made a grilled cheese sandwich in the waffle maker.
Then I made it look like an ice cream cone and added sliced bananas and a grape to look like the ice cream and a cherry on top.
Seth loved it and ate every single bite of it!
I picked up this shape sticker book at Mighty Dollar (last week) and Seth did an amazing job matching up the shape and color sticker that matched each dot on the page.
One of my favorite activities of the week was ice cube painting.
I found the idea and template for the ice cream cone here.
I turned on the flip video while we were working. Here's an unedited peek into our learning:



This is what happens when you try to lick an ice cube that has blue food coloring in it. Luckily it washed off pretty easily.
We worked some more on our numbers by reading and working with our new
Lift-the-flap Counting Book from Usborne Books.
We also read (and by read I mean we mostly looked at the pictures since this book was a little too complicated for him but it was one I already had) Inchworm and a Half.
Then we made an "I is for Inchworm" craft.
I found some foam insect pieces the other day (also Mighty Dollar).
We made an insect picture using them.
The most repeated activity of the week was picking up plastic insects with tongs and placing them in an ice cube tray. We read an interactive Insect book first and then Seth did this activity almost every day because he loved it so much.
It was a super fun week!
This week we are focusing on the letter "L"!

No comments:

Post a Comment