Monday, June 21, 2010

Spring Harvest

It's the first day of summer and already we have had a plentiful bounty from our garden beyond our first harvest. I can't wait to see what the summer season brings. Here is what we have harvested during the Spring season:

lots of green beans (I have to pick daily)
the okra is starting to become plentiful
and we had our first batch of fried okra
the other night with our chicken pot pie
so many green beans I have started to freeze batches
this past week our first zucchini was ready to harvest
more squash,
green beans (did I mention there are a lot of green beans?),
and some snow peas
and then last night,
our first tiny bell pepper (it fell off the plant, so I guess it was ready?),
more green beans, snow peas,
and I trimmed some of my herbs (rosemary and sage)
I have two eggplants growing and almost 15 tomatoes although none are ripe yet. Once I have harvested a tomato, even if nothing else grew, I could call this year's garden a success. I did have to remove half of my zucchini and squash plants because they were growing so well they were smothering some of my other plants. Now I am down to just two squash and two zucchini plants and I think that will still be plenty.
Gardening is so rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment