Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Defense


I used to be so driven by school. Teaching and learning. The research, the conferences, the world of academia thrilled me. But everything changed when the kids came. After a very long and much needed break, I am finally finishing my Master's degree. In a few short hours I will defend all the work that I have done this last year. It has taken every ounce of motivation in me to finish this thing. Stress overwhelmed me just before Christmas. I wanted to give up, but I was too close to the end to do that. Learning how to manage the stress has been my priority this semester. Things like meditation, yoga, playing Mumford and Sons constantly on Pandora, occupying my time with fun adventures, and just keeping the end in sight has helped significantly. It's so not in my character to not care, but I have had to consciously not care too much. My family and health had to be the priority and for the most part they were.

Three years ago I would have been so happy to have this degree and status. I can't deny there have been many opportunities that have arisen because of the pursuit of a Master's degree in Literacy, and for that I'm thankful. But, I am so happy that it's the end of a chapter and that I can move on. I've got big dreams and more higher education is not a part of them. That just feels really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment