Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cooking with Cast Iron

A few years ago, I remember donating a cast iron skillet to Goodwill. It had rusted and I naively thought that it was ruined, so I got rid of it. Boy, have I come a long way in my thinking since then!

A few months ago, I received a medium-sized cast iron skillet that had been my grandparent's. I have learned a lot about caring for it and keeping it well seasoned. I love cooking with it so much that I have been on the lookout for a larger skillet at all the local thrift/consignment shops.

A few days ago, I found this 12 inch beauty sitting on shelf at a local consignment shop.
With a price tag of $12.50, I knew it was just perfect!
When I got home, I got to work scrubbing it with a mixture of salt and water to remove the rust. Then I oiled it and baked it at 350 degrees for an hour. Then next day I baked it again. It came out looking glossy black. To try out my skillet, I made a batch of Nutella pancakes. I poured the batter in and they flipped perfectly.
I made the rest of my pancakes with a huge smile on my face.
*To make Nutella pancakes, just add one tablespoon of Nutella to any plain pancake batter recipe. I like to serve mine with some whipped cream and just a sprinkle of shaved chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment