Thursday, October 8, 2009

Executive Cost Cutter

I have enjoyed three weeks of laziness since Seth's birth. I think that is why I have felt so good. I am well rested because I sleep when he sleeps. I have done a little housework here and there, but really not that much. I have cooked each day and have really tried using up the stuff we have had in our cabinets for a while. I haven't left the house on my own yet, partly because of fear and partly because I don't really have anywhere to go. Bryan is such a natural when it comes to taking Seth and all the baby gear out but as for me, I wasn't even able to get the carrier out of the car on my own last night. Since I couldn't lift more than 10 lbs. after the c-section, Bryan had taken care of getting Seth in and out of the car. I guess I need to practice that skill since I can't stay in the house forever. :)
Bryan, Seth, and I have been out a few times including our first trip to Wal-Mart last night. We also enjoyed our second trip to Cheddar's which could very well be our new favorite restaurant. The food is wonderful and the price is even more wonderful. Our meal was less than $20 and it would have only been $14 if we had ordered water instead of tea. That's less than so many of our other regular dining out choices which have been visited on a much more limited basis.
We have been in practice mode as I call it for the last 6 months or so, meaning that we have only been living on what Bryan makes, so that we were sure that we could handle cutting out my salary from our budget completely. I am picking up my tutoring again next week which brings in some income but my school paychecks end during the middle of November. I think we are ready. We won't be able to go out to eat hardly at all, but I have been able to really change the way I cook meat, and it makes cooking meals every single day a lot easier. I have been cooking meat in bulk and then freezing it in small batches and it has definitely simplified cooking.
I saw a segment on Rachel Ray the other day about coupons and while I would love to use coupons, I have not been able to really utilize coupons as well as I would like. Last night, we were able to save $11 on things we were already buying anyway with the coupons I found this week. I was so excited! I am definitely going to be hunting for more since I now have plenty of time to look for savings.
It occurred to me on Monday that I am not going back to work. I am not sure I really realized that until then. I am no longer primarily a teacher. I am now a mom, but I have come up with another role for myself after reading a blog post from one of the many blogs that I subscribe to on Google Reader. I am now also our home's Executive Cost Cutter. I have realized my new job is to love my husband and son as much as I can, to enjoy our time together, and to keep our costs down while doing that. This new job is going to be a challenge at times, but I am confident that I can take on my new role wholeheartedly. I think, as a family, we have made a good start to cutting costs, but I will be looking for even more ways to live life with less money and with more love.

No comments:

Post a Comment