Monday, October 26, 2009

Baseboard Buildup

When I was little my mom always made me clean the baseboards. I can't remember if it was a weekly chore or not but it sure felt like I had to do it all the time. Sure I had other chores too, but I despised cleaning the baseboards because it required crawling around on my knees with a wet rag until I had gone over all the baseboards. I admit I would fly through some areas that I knew my mom wouldn't check closely just to get done faster. (Sorry, mom).
It was not until today that I truly understood why I had to do something that seemed so pointless as a child. If you don't regularly clean your baseboards, then when you bend over to pick something up close to the wall, you realize how incredibly filthy your house looks. That happened to me today.
I have been trying to keep things picked up, cleaned up, and straightened up since I realized I had the case of the lazies last week. So as I was straightening today I noticed how incredibly dusty and dirty the baseboards were in our hallway. I don't clean my baseboards the way I did for my mom. I just use a feather duster to go over them every once and a while and call it good. I think that I might need to follow in my mom's footsteps though and pick up that childhood chore once again to avoid baseboard buildup. Once I came to the realization that my mom was not just trying to keep me busy but instead she was absolutely brilliant for giving me such a overlooked task, I couldn't help but smile. You can count on me giving Seth that same chore one day (maybe even as soon as he is crawling). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment