Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups

We have been so blessed to have so many people bringing meals over for the last three weeks. Because I haven't had to worry about dinner each day, I have had some time to have some fun in the kitchen. I recently saw in the September issue of Martha Stewart magazine how to make your own fruit roll-ups and although it sounded a bit time consuming, it looked super easy. Yesterday I decided I would try making some.

You need 4 cups of berries.
I used strawberries and a few raspberries that I found in the refrigerator.
You also need 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
Puree all the ingredients and then simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
Then spread the mixture onto a Silpat and bake at 170 degrees for almost 3 hours.
Let the roll-ups cool for 10 minutes and
then cut into pieces and either enjoy or store them at room temperature
in a storage container for up to a month .
My fruit roll-ups ended up being a little tougher than I would have liked so if I try it again, I won't dehydrate them as long in the oven. Overall they tasted good, Seth approved, and I felt good about being able to offer a healthier, homemade snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment