Friday, February 11, 2011

Tests and More Tests

I had an appointment with a Vanderbilt doctor in the next town over yesterday, but because of the blizzard that hit the area, the doctor canceled his appointments for the day. So I went back to see my ophthalmologist. Shortly after arriving, I was given multiple tests and they realized my vision had decreased to only light perception in the right eye. My other eye had also weakened a little but it was still correctable with lenses (a good sign). After a few calls to Vanderbilt about my now semi-emergent state, Bryan and I were headed to Nashville. We met with a wonderful neuro-ophthalmologist who ran more tests and then decided that I needed some more extensive testing which included an MRI (without contrasting dye), blood work, and a lumbar puncture. We spent the rest of the day in the ER. (It was the only way insurance would pay for an MRI apparently.) Finally after almost 12 hours and 10 doctors later the tests were complete and we were able to go home around midnight.
We still don't know what is causing this eye problem. The MRI results were inconclusive. It could be some fluke thing, it could be MS but can't be confirmed from the MRI only, or who knows what. I did get to see my brain though which was kind of cool. We haven't heard about the lumbar puncture results or the blood work yet, but I will say that a lumbar puncture is no fun at all. I really don't want to have to do that again. I am extremely sore from it.
This afternoon I got a call from the neurology department and they want me to undergo another round of IV steroid treatments for the next three days. I go into the Infusion Lab again tomorrow at the hospital. The steroids have been rough. It is a very strong dose and it is very hard to rest at night while under treatment, but the doctors are hopeful that another round will hopefully help me regain vision sooner if it is going to come back. We will see. I am adjusting to only seeing with one eye though and I sure am thankful that I am not completely blind. Things could always be worse. :)

1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart Stephanie. I am praying for you and sure hope your are able to see again soon in that eye. Love you...

    ReplyDelete