Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"the market, of course"

As I was preparing dinner last night, I heard Seth moving the trash cans away from the wall to play. This is pretty much a daily occurrence, so I didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later he was bringing in his play food and register. Then I heard him asking his brother if he wanted lettuce, strawberries, or kale. Not wanting to make a big deal out of their playing, I kept cooking, but they definitely had my attention. I heard Seth ask his brother if he wanted carrots, blueberries, or beets. Silas loves pickled beets, so that was his pick. Seth asked his brother where his bag was, and Silas ran to the spot where we keep all of our reusable bags and brought one back. That's when I grabbed the camera before this little play episode was over. Seth piled up the vegetables on his little cash register to "weigh" them and then added them to his brother's bag.  I asked Seth what he was playing and he said "the market, of course."
If you don't think buying local food from local farmers makes an impact, then ask these boys. They will tell you. They see the relationships. They see the fresh food. They see the hard work it takes to not only bring this food to the market but the hard work it takes growing food. They know that our thankfulness for food goes beyond just what we eat. They hear our prayers as we call the farmers who grew our food by name. Yep, it has made a big impact on their little lives. It will make a big impact on your life, too.

2 comments:

  1. Love your story! Very cute :) My son (almost 3) loves going to the Farmer's Market. He hasn't gotten to go to the new indoor market but soon enough. Also love the breastfeeding reusable bag!!

    ReplyDelete