Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Goodbye Couch Potato

Flowers are blooming. The weather is getting nicer and nicer each day. Now seems to be as good a time as any to start getting into shape. There used to be a time when I was a size 4 (not that size necessarily matters, but I was incredibly pleased with my body)!!!! Seven years and a baby later, I am no where close to a size 4. I can still fit into most all of my pre-pregnancy clothes, but to be completely honest I wasn't extremely pleased with my body before the dramatic changes that having a baby causes. I am not motivated enough to do a workout video at home. We don't own a Wii. We don't have gym memberships. We really don't have the money to spend on Jazzercise classes or something like that. So I heard about the Couch to 5K Running Program and it actually sounded doable. I am not a runner. I like to take strolls and I don't mind walking, but Bryan has always been the runner, not me. Even when I was in college, I didn't really run to get into great shape. Slowly over time I have become the couch potato that this program is trying to help. About three years ago, I also thought that I would give running a try, and ran a 5K but almost died trying (not literally). I didn't train properly and thus as soon as the 5K was over I quit the whole running thing. This time I want to try to do it right. I want to be in shape and I want to try to get there frugally. Tonight I went on my first run. Bryan found a podcast that followed the program so that I didn't have to keep up with how long I was running/walking. It was some weird music but the guy that made the podcast told you exactly what to do and the first day was actually pretty easy. I felt good. I wasn't completely exhausted (even after making a wrong turn and walking an extra 10 minutes after the cool down at the end). Even though my legs feel a little bit like jello right now, I feel motivated that I can actually do this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment